FailThe corn was brought to the barn for storage and in winter it was worked upon. The left hand passage bay in the barn is also the threshing floor, where sheaves of corn were laid and hit with the flail to separate the grain from the chaff. Shown on the left is a flail, which rests in the passage bay.

 

Threshing machineTowards the end of the 18th century threshing machines were introduced. This culminated in the Swing Riots of 1830-33 when farm workers protested about the loss of their winter work. This is a picture of an early threshing machine in the museum. The sheaves were held whilst being threshed, rather than passing through as they did on later machines.

 

Corn cleanerGrain could be further cleaned by passing it through a corn cleaner.

 

Chaff cuttersThe stalk of the corn could be chopped up into small pieces by a chaff cutter and then mixed with beans for animal feed. The image shows chaff cutters.

 

In Bay XIII there are a couple of bean mills, which cracked the field beans before they were added to the feed. There is also a cake crusher, which broke up thin slabs of linseed and other cake for mixing with the feed. Bay XIII also includes a flocking machine, which was used to shred wool, sacking etc. for filling saddles and collars. It was also used on the land.

Contact icon - telephone    Contact

 

For group bookings or general enquiries, please contact:

 

The Hon. Curator, Brian Wimsett

01304 824969

BrianWimsett@hotmail.com

Location icon compass    Location

 

The Agricultural Museum Brook,
The Street,
Brook,
Ashford, Kent.
TN25 5PF

View map

opeing times, clock    Opening Times

 

Between the beginning of May and the end of September, the museum is open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 14:00 to 17:00.


For further details, please see Opening Times and Prices